15. 10. 2012.

UNESCO - Megalithic Temples Of Malta





Seven megalithic temples are found on the islands of Malta and Gozo, each the result of an individual development. The two temples of Ggantija on the island of Gozo are notable for their gigantic Bronze Age structures. On the island of Malta, the temples of Hagar Qin, Mnajdra and Tarxien are unique architectural masterpieces, given the limited resources available to their builders. The Ta'Hagrat and Skorba complexes show how the tradition of temple-building was handed down in Malta.

I have only been to Ġgantija on Gozo, which was a bit underwhelming so I didn't feel too bad about passing on the other ones due to bad weather - though of course I still wish I've seen them! At least one more. The Ġgantija temples were erected during the Neolithic Age (c. 3600-2500 BC), which makes these temples more than 5500 years old and the world's second oldest manmade religious structures, after Göbekli Tepe (Turkey). Mnajdra megalithic temple complex, built around the fourth millennium BCE, looks more advanced and impressive - my sis has visited and sent a card six years ago. I was so happy to have sent the 1st postcard from the PO nearest to the temples in Xagħra; alas I've noted later that Malta has the same cancellation everywhere. I was actually lucky that this one got cancelled, cos most of the cards i've sent werent :/

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar