18. 04. 2014.

UNESCO - Major Town Houses of the Architect Victor Horta (Brussels), Belgium









The four major town houses - Hôtel Tassel, Hôtel Solvay, Hôtel van Eetvelde, and Maison & Atelier Horta - located in Brussels and designed by the architect Victor Horta, one of the earliest initiators of Art Nouveau, are some of the most remarkable pioneering works of architecture of the end of the 19th century. The stylistic revolution represented by these works is characterised by their open plan, the diffusion of light, and the brilliant joining of the curved lines of decoration with the structure of the building.
It was quite interesting, the story of the Horta houses when I was in Brussels last month...i made a street tour, seeing all houses from the outside, and hoping to see the last - the Maison & Atelier which is a museum - from the inside, and I relied on it for postcards (there were absolutely none on any of the tourist stands). Alas when I got there, I was an hour early - never thought any museum would open at 2pm! But I had a meeting with a friend in town...who also loves postcards, and while walking she suddenly pulled me into an awesome shop where I found these cards; and whats more, they had exactly two sets of the great dog stamps, one for me and one for my friend - now that is what I call a brilliant postcard day! :))

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar