12. 04. 2016.

Yaqona Ceremony, Fiji



My 2nd card from Fiji but now I realise the 1st to be featured on my blog...thanks to Deane, another great postcrosser I had the pleasure to swap with this winter.
It shows the Yaqona Ceremony - after Yaqona plant, whose root and stem are washed and dried thoroughly, then pounded into a powder to be mixed with water and filtered through a silk cloth. Yaqona is a central and ancient part of Fijian ceremony which gathers family and friends.
It is a local name for the plant kava (which funnily means coffee in croatian) which is consumed throughout the Pacific Ocean cultures because of its sedative characteristics - it  is primarily consumed to relax without disrupting mental clarity. Oh I could use some, as it is proven to help with social anxiety!

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar