29. 05. 2014.

UNESCO - Monastery Of The Hieronymites And Tower Of Belém In Lisbon






Standing at the entrance to Lisbon harbour, the Monastery of the Hieronymites – construction of which began in 1502 – exemplifies Portuguese art at its best. The nearby Tower of Belém, built to commemorate Vasco da Gama's expedition, is a reminder of the great maritime discoveries that laid the foundations of the modern world.
Surprisingly that is all that is written on the official Unesco-web-site...Mosteiro dos Jerónimos has been a true and fascinating discovery for me - as i hadn't looked it up prior to visit, I didn't really know what to expect (seems to be the best way!) and I got a whole lot of oohs and aahs to last me a week :) I have seen the Tower of Belem on postcards but still very cool to actually visit it. And I have never seen THIS view on a postcard!
The impressive stamp that I've found in a friendly PO in Coimbra presents the Queluz National Palace in Sintra Municipality, in the Lisbon District - one of the last great Rococo buildings to be designed in Europe.
Its been two months and I am still suffering from withdrawal symptoms...didn't get enough of Portugal

Nema komentara:

Objavi komentar